• Welcome to Sensible Investors, if you wish to comment on any threads and join the Sensible Investors community Click here.

Experts say £10,900 annual income needed to retire.

Smart Finance

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 23, 2021
gumroad.com
Is it me or does £10,900 not sound like a lot to retire with? The budget increases to £16,700 for a couple. The budget now includes Netflix and personal grooming for the first time. This budget is set by Pension and lifetime savings association (PLSA).

Personally I wonder what kind of life pensioners live in their 'golden years' with this kind of income.

BBC News - Experts say £10,900 annual income needed to retire https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58883053

Reactions: raph

raph

Rookie Investor
May 29, 2021
I am having exactly that conversation at the moment we all see it was way too low even assuming you own the house with no mortgage i do wonder if that is excluding the state pension otherwise i have no idea where they are getting their energy or food prices from because it is not the same place i am

Reactions: Smart Finance

Smart Finance

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 23, 2021
gumroad.com
I am having exactly that conversation at the moment we all see it was way too low even assuming you own the house with no mortgage i do wonder if that is excluding the state pension otherwise i have no idea where they are getting their energy or food prices from because it is not the same place i am
Reading the article it claims that the majority of the budget is made up from State Pension with a top up of a private pension. These numbers seem off or very generous at the least. I feel like such an article would take people towards a feeling of false belief. I don't even expect State Pension to be a thing when I get to the retirement age

Reactions: raph

The Dividend Experiment

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 23, 2021
Reading the article it claims that the majority of the budget is made up from State Pension with a top up of a private pension. These numbers seem off or very generous at the least. I feel like such an article would take people towards a feeling of false belief. I don't even expect State Pension to be a thing when I get to the retirement age
Thats something I was thinking about the other day, was on the government website and it was saying how many years of national insurance payments I have missed and there is an option to pay into it. Weighing up if its worth paying to get a state pension if its just going to be when I'm 95 or something

raph

Rookie Investor
May 29, 2021
Thats something I was thinking about the other day, was on the government website and it was saying how many years of national insurance payments I have missed and there is an option to pay into it. Weighing up if its worth paying to get a state pension if its just going to be when I'm 95 or something
i was looking into the state pension recently for my father in law as he is eligible next year but he is not planning to retire so he asked if it was worth deferring it i said you would need to live past 90 for it to be worth it let's just say his reply was two words begining with F & O