• Welcome to Sensible Investors, if you wish to comment on any threads and join the Sensible Investors community Click here.

Increase in UK state pension age to 68 could come eight years early

Order66

Oct 14, 2021
"The state pension age rose to 66 last year, with two further rises planned, meaning that by 2046 those born on or after April 1977 would need to wait until 68 before they can draw the benefit.
However, the review will look at bringing forward that change by eight years, so that the increase is phased in between 2037 and 2039.

The state payment is paid to anyone who has made at least 10 years’ worth of national insurance contributions during their working lifetime. The maximum payment is £179.60 a week, but how much you get depends on how many years you contributed for."

Reading this gives me a real kick up the bum to have savings/investments prior to retirement because ill be dammed if im working till im dead. Reading this, does it worry anyone else that pensions will continually be pushed back further and further?

raph

Regular Investor
May 29, 2021
i think eventually they will phase it out completly tbh that is the main reason they brought in auto enrolment in my opinion. Last year i increased my private pension by 5% and will most likely keep doing that as a minimum although at 40 i do think it will be around in some form by the time i decide to call it a day

Reactions: Order66

Order66

Oct 14, 2021
i think eventually they will phase it out completly tbh that is the main reason they brought in auto enrolment in my opinion. Last year i increased my private pension by 5% and will most likely keep doing that as a minimum although at 40 i do think it will be around in some form by the time i decide to call it a day
That's my worry or thought line also. Makes sense them forcing enrolment, knowing that state pension is on an unsustainable path.