• Welcome to Sensible Investors, if you wish to comment on any threads and join the Sensible Investors community Click here.

Monthly investments

Cbob

Mar 27, 2021
I'm looking for insights on the best way to add to my isa and spread the money out.
Is it better to add large chunks to a position or smaller chunks over time?
Say I have 10 stocks in a portfolio. Would I be better adding £100 to each one every month, or £1000 to individual stocks over the course of a year?

Reactions: Smart Finance

Smart Finance

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 23, 2021
gumroad.com
I'm looking for insights on the best way to add to my isa and spread the money out.
Is it better to add large chunks to a position or smaller chunks over time?
Say I have 10 stocks in a portfolio. Would I be better adding £100 to each one every month, or £1000 to individual stocks over the course of a year?
Lump sum investing has out performed cost averaging 67% of the time according to studies but you've also got to account for risk of all the eggs in one basket. If your making a new portfolio I'd spread the investments, if your adding to your portfolio I'd probably invest that £1000 across 2 to 4 stocks to really get compounding going

Reactions: Cbob

Cbob

Mar 27, 2021
Lump sum investing has out performed cost averaging 67% of the time according to studies but you've also got to account for risk of all the eggs in one basket. If your making a new portfolio I'd spread the investments, if your adding to your portfolio I'd probably invest that £1000 across 2 to 4 stocks to really get compounding going
Thank you for the advice. :)

CleverFox

Jul 29, 2021
I have my trading account and my investing account. In my trading account i trade risky stocks when i invest, i systematically buy good dividend yielding stock and companies with good fundamentals every month. By this i could get good average price for the stock. In the long term i found this safe and have a built a good portfolio for the future.

Reactions: Cbob