• Welcome to Sensible Investors, if you wish to comment on any threads and join the Sensible Investors community Click here.

Paying Off UK Student Loans

Should You Pay Off Your UK Student Loans ASAP?

• Total voters
Aug 4, 2021
I interviewed a UK Doctor last week who talked very candidly about her experiences of poverty as a child. She's now gone on to save over £100k, which as we all know, is a massive milestone in the UK.

Dr. Hung had some very unconventional thoughts about student loans, and I'm really intrigued to hear what others think about this. She said:

- Paying off her student debt more quickly, helped her save £100k much more quickly by investing her money.
- She finds it strange that those going to university these days have a deliberate mentality that they will not pay back their loans.
- Compound interest will work against you when it comes to debt. You will accumulate more and more debt.

You can hear more from Dr. Hung here: https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/from-poverty-to-%C2%A3100k-dr-hung-66/id1508117788?i=1000533051043
but I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Answer the poll below to give your thoughts on UK student loans.

Attachments

• student loans.jpg
    student loans.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 0

Smart Finance

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 23, 2021
gumroad.com
Definitely have to check this one out. See I believe there is no point paying it back ASAP. The way they have set it up there is no point, save money, invest it just pay the minimum on it. I agree that compound interest will work against you in debt in most forums. I just believe the way these loans are set up its barely a loan

Aug 4, 2021
Definitely have to check this one out. See I believe there is no point paying it back ASAP. The way they have set it up there is no point, save money, invest it just pay the minimum on it. I agree that compound interest will work against you in debt in most forums. I just believe the way these loans are set up its barely a loan
Her student loan was set up in a completely different way to mine, despite there only being three years between us. One of the defining factors being that it wouldn't be written off until 65 I think .... I wonder whether this gives more incentive to pay off the debt ASAP?

Smart Finance

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 23, 2021
gumroad.com
Her student loan was set up in a completely different way to mine, despite there only being three years between us. One of the defining factors being that it wouldn't be written off until 65 I think .... I wonder whether this gives more incentive to pay off the debt ASAP?
I guess you also got to take into account the way it may effect getting a mortgage or finance. I saw Martin Lewis make comments about student loans/debt. Never went to university so luckly doesn't effect me but still an interesting read.

The Dividend Experiment

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 23, 2021
I think there is some clause where if you spend a certain amount of years outside the country it gets written off anyway? That might be a myth but that's my plan haha.

Also Money Saving Expert says that you should treat it as more like a graduate 'tax' rather than stress about the debt, I tend to agree with this