• Welcome to Sensible Investors, if you wish to comment on any threads and join the Sensible Investors community Click here.

Shortage of lorry drivers

Smart Finance

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 23, 2021
gumroad.com
Its been constantly in the news about the shortage of lorry drives.
New articles coming out weekly if almost daily about it with examples of:

McDonalds, KFC and Nando's running short of supplies.

Hardy's wine worryingly warning of a possible wine shortage for Christmas.

Another article of a man who received a 40% pay rise for his trucking job but one of his comments were:

Tom Reddy has been driving lorries for more than 15 years and his pay was recently increased from £17.50 an hour to £24.50 - a 40% jump.
"I've never known anything like it," he told the BBC's Wake Up To Money programme. "But they could pay me £80,000 a year and it wouldn't be enough, I want to leave."

We are feeling the effects of this already, but i wonder how much worse will it get? I don't see any short term quick fixes for this.
Improved infrastructure would help in the long term such as more train services to transport goods up and down the country instead of possible lorries making such long journeys.

Anyone else feeling this knock on effect at their job or just have an opinion on this

OhKayInvesting

Mar 15, 2021
Its been constantly in the news about the shortage of lorry drives.
New articles coming out weekly if almost daily about it with examples of:

McDonalds, KFC and Nando's running short of supplies.

Hardy's wine worryingly warning of a possible wine shortage for Christmas.

Another article of a man who received a 40% pay rise for his trucking job but one of his comments were:

Tom Reddy has been driving lorries for more than 15 years and his pay was recently increased from £17.50 an hour to £24.50 - a 40% jump.
"I've never known anything like it," he told the BBC's Wake Up To Money programme. "But they could pay me £80,000 a year and it wouldn't be enough, I want to leave."

We are feeling the effects of this already, but i wonder how much worse will it get? I don't see any short term quick fixes for this.
Improved infrastructure would help in the long term such as more train services to transport goods up and down the country instead of possible lorries making such long journeys.

Anyone else feeling this knock on effect at their job or just have an opinion on this
ooooooh! thats why I havent been able to get a coke at mc donalds recently :eek:

This is so interesting :unsure:

Reactions: Smart Finance