• Welcome to Sensible Investors, if you wish to comment on any threads and join the Sensible Investors community Click here.

Will the stock market crash soon?

tc81121

Mar 29, 2021
Hi guys, there seems to be a lot of people (e.g. Youtubers, Michael Burry, Ray Dalio etc.) talking about a massive crash coming.

Obviously, it is almost impossible to time the market, but I thought would be interesting to hear some opinions on this forum. Personally, I will probably be on the safe side and stick with stocks that are undervalued/dividend stocks. What do you guys think? Any thoughts on mitigating strategies?

Reactions: Smart Finance

The Dividend Experiment

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 23, 2021
From people I follow and what they are saying it seems like there is a lot of money in private equity and essentially 'money on the sidelines' at the moment due to multiple reasons but one is low-interest rates. I don't really foresee a crash in the near term as this will pour in to buy up equities once they start to fall.

YouTubers tend to say a lot of things, they get paid for attention so the more outrageous the better. Ray Dalio is fully onboard the China hegemon train now.

I would still say stick with value but that's my own bias shining through, I'd go for value at all times.

Smart Finance

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 23, 2021
gumroad.com
Hi guys, there seems to be a lot of people (e.g. Youtubers, Michael Burry, Ray Dalio etc.) talking about a massive crash coming.

Obviously, it is almost impossible to time the market, but I thought would be interesting to hear some opinions on this forum. Personally, I will probably be on the safe side and stick with stocks that are undervalued/dividend stocks. What do you guys think? Any thoughts on mitigating strategies?
Historically it indicates we are expecting a correction or crash. Many indicators are pointing towards everything being overvalued but we also have governments who are printing more and more money to stabilise everything. Thing is if you don't invest you'll be missing out gains. For me I'm investing into value dividend stocks like consumer staples. Recently they have said they are increasing consumer good prices so we know inflation is coming and we can't combat that in a savings account. Basically keep calm and keep investing

Reactions: tc81121

tc81121

Mar 29, 2021
From people I follow and what they are saying it seems like there is a lot of money in private equity and essentially 'money on the sidelines' at the moment due to multiple reasons but one is low-interest rates. I don't really foresee a crash in the near term as this will pour in to buy up equities once they start to fall.

YouTubers tend to say a lot of things, they get paid for attention so the more outrageous the better. Ray Dalio is fully onboard the China hegemon train now.

I would still say stick with value but that's my own bias shining through, I'd go for value at all times.
Interesting perspective on the PE front - haven't thought of it this. Thanks for sharing! Keep calm and invest I guess haha

tc81121

Mar 29, 2021
Historically it indicates we are expecting a correction or crash. Many indicators are pointing towards everything being overvalued but we also have governments who are printing more and more money to stabilise everything. Thing is if you don't invest you'll be missing out gains. For me I'm investing into value dividend stocks like consumer staples. Recently they have said they are increasing consumer good prices so we know inflation is coming and we can't combat that in a savings account. Basically keep calm and keep investing
Yeah, as you said a lot of indicators are suggesting a correction, which is what's making me anxious. Inflation is probably coming and I guess one of the easiest ways to combat this is to invest! Thanks!

Reactions: Smart Finance

flatsteak

Apr 19, 2021
This Pandemic has rattled all business and has completely disturbed global transactions. Trade is restricted due to the pandemic restrictions, so many business are hit. Markets are at great height now, and due to the transportation restriction it could cause supply side shock, the market might fall and people would start to panic and would start to with draw their money from the market and this would drag the market even lower. Would suggest to keep minimum exposure in market during these uncertain times. And to keep your portfolio protected with put options or with a tight stop loss. This would ensure, you won't get hit when the market falls.

OhKayInvesting

Mar 15, 2021
As a wise investor once said, 'Just dollar cost average and chill'.

In the nearly four months since the orginal post was created the market has only continued to rise, even if the Market crashes at open today and doesn't recover for the next 13 years, you will only be missing out if you've already dumped the majority of the money you will ever invest at recent market highs.

Older investors should be able to stomach a significant crash since they should have their portfolios adjusted for their planned retirement age between stocks and bonds.

Younger investors or people who have had under 5 years in the market should be looking forward to a crash in my opinion, what a perfect opportunity.